Monday, December 8, 2008

Arts vs. Crafts

Arts and Crafts!!! That is a term that has brought joy to my heart for many years. Attach those three words to just about anything and you are guaranteed to peak my interest. An Arts and Crafts section in the bookstore - where? An Arts and Crafts class - how do I sign up? Arts and Crafts DIY videos on YouTube - chances are I'm already subscribed :-)

But, although the two terms go together most of the time, it's the latter that is the hook for me. You see, if you asked me to go to an Art Gallery, I'd have to check my schedule. If you asked me to go to a Craft Fair, I'd say "What are we waiting for ?!?!?!?"

The difference between Art and Craft . . . there lies my dilema.

Many times when people see some of the things I have made, their typical response is "You're so artistic!" While I truly appreciate the compliment, that comment has just never set well with me. It has always felt like I was getting undue credit. I just DON'T think I am artistic. My definition of an artist is someone who paints, sculpts, draws, etc. I don't paint, I can't sculpt, and I would be hard pressed to draw anything other than stick figures and cartoons. What I am is someone who has a talent for making things. Sometimes that means copying something that someone else has already created (giving proper credit, of course). Occasionally, it means coming up with my own original ideas. What I am is not an Artist but a Crafter.

So, I have decided to invent a motto for myself.

"I'm not Artistic, I'm CRAFTASTIC!"

I might even have a T-shirt made :-)

I really hope this is an original saying. I did an internet search to make sure that I was not copying anyone. And, while I did find several references to the word "craftastic", I did not see it used in a phrase anything like this one. Please let me know if I am mistaken.

3 comments:

Jerry Ann said...

You are very "Craftastic"! I love it. And that word. It is very you.

Anonymous said...

Ahh yes, 'craftastic' is a very good and apt description for one so clever with ideas and imagination.

As ole King Franklin Ben Solomon might have said if he'd have thought of it... "The Craft of Art oft starves the poor artist, but the Art of Crafts will feed the Race of Man."

And you, lady... have the Art of Crafts in abundance, and it surely does fit you to a Tee.

Amy E. McCollum said...

So Stinkin' cute is what you are Miss Crafty! I'm loving your blog and all of your fabulous creations. Love and Smooches,
Amy