Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Learn Something New Everyday :-)

Until today, I had no idea what National Signing Day was. If you had asked me prior to 8:00 am this morning, I would have guessed that it was a day to celebrate American Sign Language. You see I know a little something about sign language. Football . . . not so much :-)

For those of you that are as clueless as I was, National Signing Day is the first day a high school senior can sign a binding National Letter of Intent for college football. And, that is exactly what 2 Choctaw seniors did today in front of an auditorium full of fellow athletes, friends, administrators, teachers, and family. One with East Carolina, the other with Alabama State.

I happened to have a free period, and decided to check it out. I'm so glad I did. It was neat to see kids that I have worked with making such an important step for their future. Who knows, maybe one day they'll be playing in the NFL and I'll be able to say I knew them when.

P.S. I don't have any pictures because the Spanish class I was subbing for was watching a movie (The Jungle Book - en Espanol :-) and the DVD remote didn't have any batteries. So, I had to take the batteries out of my camera to make the remote work. I didn't think to take the batteries back out before I left on my break. I also didn't have my cell phone on me. EGADS!! I was practically naked :-) Luckily, Christian was there filming the story for WBGI (the school news show). He said he would probably be able to get me some pics. Hopefully I will be able to add them in later.

No comments: